Whole-Wheat Almond-Butter Sandwich Cookies
Yield 2 dozen sandwich cookies
Recipe from "Martha Stewart Living" Magazine, March 2014 issue
- 1 1/4 cups whole-wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 stick unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup creamy almond butter, stirred
- 1 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup sliced almonds, toasted and finely chopped
- 16 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt. Beat the butter with an electric mixer on medium-high speed for 1 minute. Add the almond butter and beat it until it’s smooth. Beat in the brown sugar, then the egg, until it’s all well mixed. Reduce the speed to low and gradually add in the flour mixture until it’s just combined. Stir in the almonds.
- Form the dough into an 11-inch-long log, 1 3/4 inches in diameter. Wrap it in parchment and freeze it until it’s firm, about 1 hour (or up to 3 months).
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Using a chef’s knife, slice the log into scant 1/4-inch-thick rounds, using one quick motion for each slice. Arrange the rounds 1 1/2 inches apart on parchment-lined baking sheets, pressing them back into shape.
- Bake, rotating the sheets halfway through, until the cookies are light golden on their edges, for 8 to 10 minutes. Let the cookies cool completely on the sheets on wire racks. The cookies can be stored, covered, up to 5 days.
- For the icing, beat the cream cheese, honey, and vanilla with a mixer on medium speed until it’s all combined. Spread 1 tablespoon each on the bottoms of half of the cookies, then sandwich each one with the remaining cookies, pressing gently to spread the filling to the edges. (Note: Try to eat these cookies within at least 2 days. Over time, the cream cheese filling will soften the cookies, making them extremely crumbly. Store them in the refrigerator when they’re not being eaten.)
Recipe by Unruly Bliss at http://unrulybliss.com/food/whole-wheat-almond-butter-sandwich-cookies/