Sweet Corn Risotto
Yield 4-6 servings
- 5 cups vegetable stock
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 cups Arborio rice
- salt and black pepper
- 3/4 cup dry white wine
- 3/4 cup fresh corn
- 1 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup freshly grated or shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon of a mixture of herbs such as basil, fennel seed, lavender, marjoram, rosemary, sage, summer savory, and thyme
- Heat the vegetable stock in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat until it's hot, reduce the heat to low, and keep the stock at a low simmer.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat until it's hot but not smoking. Cook the green onions, stirring, just until they're translucent, about 2 minutes. Add the rice, stirring slowly and continuously until the grains are opaque and coated in the oil, about 1 to 2 minutes. Add 1/2 teaspoon salt and a few grinds of pepper and pour in the wine. Cook and stir until all the liquid has evaporated, about 3 minutes. Don’t let the rice brown.
- Ladle in about 1 cup of the warm stock and stir until the rice has absorbed all the liquid, about 6 minutes. When almost all the liquid is gone, ladle in another 1/2 cup stock. Keep stirring and adding the stock, 1/2 cup at a time, allowing the rice to absorb the liquid before adding more. After the rice has absorbed 2 1/2 cups stock, taste it. The rice should be firm to the bite but creamy. If it is hard, continue to add stock, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring constantly, until the rice tastes perfect to you. (You may not need all of the stock.)
- Stir in the corn and reduce the heat to very low so the risotto stops simmering. Stir in the butter, cheese, and herbs. Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve immediately.
Recipe by Unruly Bliss at http://unrulybliss.com/food/sweet-corn-risotto/