Steak and Onion Tacos with Fresh Tomatillo Salsa
Yield 4-6 servings
Steak and Onion Tacos
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil, plus more for grill
- 3/4 teaspoon chili powder, such as ancho, pasilla, or chipotle
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice, plus wedges for serving
- 1 pound petite sirloin steak
- coarse salt and pepper
- 1 large red onion, cut into 1/4 rounds
- 12 medium tortillas, warmed or lightly toasted
Fresh Tomatillo Salsa
- 1/4 pound tomatillos, husks removed and diced
- 4 tablespoons red onion, minced
- 1 medium jalapeno, seeded and minced
- coarse salt
- In a small bowl, whisk together the oil, chili powder, brown sugar, soy sauce, and lime juice. Place the steak in a gallon size storage bag, pour in the marinade, and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Remove the meat from the refrigerator and let it sit at room temperature for 30 minutes prior to grilling.
- Heat a grill or grill pan to medium-high. Clean and lightly oil the hot grill. Remove the steak from the marinade, letting the excess drip off. Season the steak with salt and pepper.
- Grill the onion and steak, flipping occasionally, until the onion is lightly charred and the steak is medium-rare, about 10 minutes. Place the onion on a serving plate. Transfer the steak to a cutting board, loosely tent it with foil, and let it rest 10 minutes before thinly slicing against the grain.
- While the steak is resting, combine all of the salsa ingredients in a small bowl. Serve the steak and onion with tortillas, lime wedges, and the Fresh Tomatillo Salsa!
Recipe by Unruly Bliss at http://unrulybliss.com/food/steak-and-onion-tacos-with-fresh-tomatillo-salsa/