Roasted Strawberry and Goat Cheese Squares
Yield 12 servings
- 1 sheet puff pastry, thawed
- 16 ounce strawberries, washed and hulled
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- dash black pepper
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 4 ounce goat cheese, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 12 leaves fresh basil
- Set the pastry out so that it comes to room temperature, about 40 minutes before you're going to use it.
- Preheat your oven to 350F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cut out the strawberry tops and cut each one in half. Quarter the one that seem really big.
- In a medium bowl, combine the maple syrup, balsamic vinegar, olive oil. and salt and pepper. Add 1 tablespoon of honey in and whisk it all together.
- Add the strawberries to the bowl and toss them around until they're covered in the sauce.
- Place the strawberries on the baking sheet and roast them until they've softened and the juices thicken, about 40 minutes.
- While the berries are in the oven, mix the goat cheese, lemon zest, and remaining tablespoon of honey and then set it all aside.
- Lightly flour your counter and roll out the pastry dough, then cut it into 12 3-inch squares. (To double the amount to be served, cut each square in half diagonally, forming 24 triangles.)
- Place each square on the baking sheet, about 1 inch apart. Gently press an outline of a small square on the inside of each 3-inch square.
- Place a small dollop of the goat cheese mixture inside each little scored square.
- Bake the pastries for 15 to 20 minutes until they'r elightly golden in color.
- Let them cool for about 20 minutes, then place a small basil leave on the center of each square and top each one with a roasted strawberries and some syrup. (I sprinkled all of mine with dried basil instead.)
- Serve these warm or at room-temperature.
Recipe by Unruly Bliss at http://unrulybliss.com/food/roasted-strawberry-goat-cheese-squares/