I have a new favorite dish! I can’t take any credit because Justin made the entire thing but I am, of course, the genius that told him what I wanted. Quinoa! We bought a massive bag of it without ever having tried it before and I was secretly worried that it might never get opened. (Click HERE if you’re like, “What the heck is quinoa?”) I had hoped the quinoa would be tasty but I was pleasantly surprised that it was actually extremely delicious! I LOVE this stuff, especially with pesto and veggies! We served it as a side with a small steak soaked in a Whiskey-Vinegar marinade. This quinoa recipe works perfect for guests who are gluten-free and/or vegetarian too!
It’s silently calling to you, isn’t it? Don’t be scared. Quinoa is good for you!
Quinoa with Pesto, Tomatoes, and Corn
Yield 4-8 servings
- 1 1/2 cups quinoa, rinsed and drained
- 2 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1/3 cup basil pesto
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 1/2 large red onion, diced
- 3 ears corn on the cob or 15 ounce can of corn
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved or quartered
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Heat up half of the olive oil in a large pot. Add the garlic and quinoa and cook, stirring frequently, until the quinoa is lightly toasted, for about 3-4 minutes.
- Add the broth and bring it to a boil. Reduce the heat, cover it, and let it simmer for 15-20 minutes or until the quinoa is cooked through. Add 2 tablespoons of pesto to the quinoa and stir.
- In a saucepan, heat the remaining oil and butter over medium heat and add the onions. Cook for about 2-3 minutes and then add the corn. Continue to cook for about 3-4 minutes and then add the cherry tomatoes. Cook for 3-4 minutes more and then add the remaining pesto.
- Reduce the heat to low and let it simmer, stirring occasionally. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Toss the quinoa with pesto mix and serve it all hot or cold.