Yield 8 servings
- 8 ripe peaches, pitted and sliced
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 1/2 tablespoons light-brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 large egg
- 2/3 cup milk
- all-natural vanilla ice cream or freshly whipped cream, for serving on top
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place the peaches, cornstarch, light-brown sugar, and cinnamon in a large mixing bowl.
- Toss the peaches with the dry ingredients until the fruit mixture is well combined, then pour the mixture into an 8 x 8 x 2 inch baking pan.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, 1/4 cup granulated sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- With a pastry blender or two knives, cut the butter into the dry ingredients until the mixture resembles coarse meal.
- In a liquid-measuring cup, whisk together the egg and milk.
- Slowly add the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients; mix lightly with a fork just until the dough comes together in the bowl.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured work surface, and shape the dough into a 12-inch log. Using a sharp knife, cut the log into 12 equal rounds.
- Place the rounds of dough on top of the peach mixture.
- Sprinkle the tops of the biscuits with the remaining 1 tablespoon of granulated sugar.
- Bake until it's golden brown, about 50 minutes, then transfer the baking pan to a wire rack and let the cobbler cool before cutting.
Recipe by Unruly Bliss at http://unrulybliss.com/food/peach-cobbler/