The Buckeye State Ice Cream: Honeyed Peanut Ice Cream with Dark Chocolate Freckles
Yield 1 quart
This recipe is straight from Jeni Britton Bauer's Jeni's Splendid Ice Creams At Home.
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 1/2 ounces (3 tablespoons) cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup unsalted natural peanut butter
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt (less if using saltier peanut butter)
- 1 1/4 cups heavy cream
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 4 ounce chocolate (55% to 70% cocoa), chopped
- Mix about 2 tablespoons of the milk with the cornstarch in a small bowl to make a smooth slurry.
- Whisk the cream cheese, peanut butter, and salt in a medium bowl until smooth.
- Fill a large bowl with ice and water.
- Combine the remaining milk, the cream,sugar, corn syrup, and honey in a 4-quart saucepan, bring to a rolling boil over medium-high heat, and boil for 4 minutes.
- Remove from the heat, and gradually whisk in the cornstarch slurry.
- Bring the mixture back to a boil over medium-high heat and cook, stirring with a heat proof spatula, until slightly thickened, about 1 minute. Remove from the heat.
- Gradually whisk the hot milk mixture into the cream cheese mixture until smooth. Pour the mixture into a 1-gallon Ziplock freezer bag and submerge the sealed bag in the ice bath. Let stand, adding more ice as necessary, until cold, about 30 minutes.
- Pour the ice cream base into the frozen canister and begin to spin the ice cream.
- Meanwhile, melt the chocolate in a double boiler. Remove from the heat and let cool until tepid but still fluid.
- When the ice cream is thick and creamy and almost finished, drizzle the melted chocolate slowly through the opening in the top of the ice cream machine and allow it to solidify and break up in the ice cream for about 2 minutes.
- Pack the ice cream into a storage container, press a sheet of parchment directly against the surface, and seal with an airtight lid. Freeze in the coldest part of your freezer until firm, at least 4 hours.
Recipe by Unruly Bliss at http://unrulybliss.com/food/honeyed-peanut-ice-cream-with-dark-chocolate-freckles-the-buckeye-state-ice-cream/