Grilled Tomatillo Salsa
Yield 1 1/2 cups
- 1 1/2 pounds tomatillos
- 1 medium white onion, cut in half
- 3 jalapenos
- 3 cloves garlic
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 8 ounce jar of chopped green chilies
- Heat your grill at medium heat. Place the tomatillos, onion, jalapenos, and garlic in a single layer on a rimmed grill tray (or try to line them on the grill in a way that they won’t fall through, like I did).
- Check and rotate the grill tray often and flip the vegetables frequently. Grill until the vegetables are blistered and slightly softened, about 10 to 15 minutes (the garlic may need to be removed earlier if it is browning too quickly).
- Remove the garlic skins and any charred vegetable bits and pulse the vegetables in a food processor until coarsely pureed. Add the lime juice, green chilies, cilantro, and season it all with salt and pepper. Pulse again to mix it.
- Transfer the salsa to a bowl and enjoy! (Refrigerate for up to 3 days, or freeze for up to 3 months.)
If you prefer less heat, use fewer jalapenos or just remove the insides.
Recipe by Unruly Bliss at http://unrulybliss.com/food/grilled-tomatillo-salsa/