I absolutely love summer cooking, especially because I love grilling. I love summer fruits and vegetables. I LOVE that it stays light out until 8:30. And I love, love, love all of the different aromas wafting around my kitchen and coming in through the windows from my neighbors’ homes. I feel that this is the happiest time of year in Colorado and I live for the moment that Justin and I sit down at our table with an exciting new meal in front of us. And for this meal (which we actually adapted from the Weight, Grilled Flank Steak with Corn Salsa and a Garlic Potato Cake, I was definitely excited. This meal is a summer favorite!
Grilled Flank Steak with Corn Salad
Yield 4 servings
- 1/3 cup dry red wine
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 pound flank steak, trimmed
- 1 large ear of corn, shucked
- 4 green onions (scallions)
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 tablespoon red-wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh rosemary
- Combine the wine, 1/2 tablespoon rosemary, 1/4 teaspoon of the salt, and 1/8 teaspoon of the pepper in a large zip-close plastic bag. Add the steak, squeeze out any air, and seal the bag.
- Turn to coat the steak and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or up to two hours.
- Get your grill ready, preheating it on medium-high.
- Place corn and green onions on the grill rack and grill, turning them often, until they're softened and browned (about 15-17 minutes for the corn and 6-8 minutes for the green onions).
- Transfer the corn and green onions to a cutting board. When they're cool enough to handle, shave the kernels from cob and thinly slice the green onions.
- Transfer the corn and green onions to a medium bowl. Add the tomatoes, vinegar, oil, remaining 1/2 tablespoon of rosemary, and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Let the mixture stand at room temperature.
- Remove the steak from the marinade and discard the marinade. Place the steak on the grill rack and for medium, cook about 3-4 minutes on each side. Transfer the steak to a cutting board and loosely cover it with foil. Let it rest for two to three minutes and then cut across the grain into thin slices.
- Serve the steak topped with the corn salad.