A couple of weeks ago Justin and I decided that we wanted to have one night a week that was set aside for salads as dinner. I’ve always thought salads were extremely boring. So having one night a week where we only eat salad has been a great way to force me to open up my palette to something I have never been particularly fond of. Lately we’ve been getting a bit adventurous and buying some organic power greens – spinach, red and green chard, and baby kale. I’m hoping to fake out my taste-buds into liking kale if it’s masked by a little spinach. It seems to be working so far!
This salad here has already become an absolute favorite meal in just a few short weeks as we’ve already made it three times. It’s definitely not the most healthy out there (which I’m sure is probably why I like it so much) but it tastes so, so good. The creamy dressing over the crispy potatoes and the amazing flavor added by the steak and bacon…oh my goodness, so delicious!
Steak Salad with Crispy Potatoes, Bacon, and Blue Cheese Dressing
Yield 4 servings
- 4 ounces sliced bacon
- 8 ounces Yukon gold, baby gold, or fingerling potatoes, cut into 1/2 inch chunks
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 pounds petite sirloin steak
- 4 ounces crumbled blue cheese
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 1 1/2 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 3 green onion, chopped
- large container of mixed baby greens (or preferred salad mix)
- Cook the bacon in a large skillet over medium heat, until it's crisp, about 5 to 7 minutes. When it's cooked, transfer the bacon to a paper towel-lined plate.
- Season the potatoes with 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Cook them in the bacon drippings on medium-high, tossing occasionally, until browned and tender for 12 to 15 minutes. Transfer to the plate with the bacon.
- Heat the oil in the skillet over medium-high heat. Season the steak with 1/4 teaspoon each of salt and pepper and cook it for 5 to 7 minutes per side (for medium-rare). Let it rest for at least 5 minutes before slicing.
- Mix the blue cheese, sour cream, buttermilk, vinegar, scallion, and ¼ teaspoon each salt and pepper in a small bowl. Divide the salad among plates, top it with the steak, bacon, and potatoes, and drizzle each one with the dressing.