Yield 6 servings
This recipe was adapted from Food.com by Chef Marvel Iris.
- 6 calamari steaks
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 5-6 dashes Tabasco
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1 cup oil for frying
- Slice the calamari steaks into thin strips, then soak the strips in a large bowl filled with the buttermilk. Let them sit, covered, for 15-30 minutes.
- Set out 3 separate bowls that are good to coat and mix in. In one, whisk together the eggs, Tabasco sauce, and 1/2 cup of milk. In another, mix the flour, cumin, chile powder, garlic powder, and salt and pepper. And fill the third with the bread crumbs.
- Set the bowls aside and heat the oil in a large skillet.
- When the oil is extremely hot, drain the calamari. Working in batches, dredge the strips in the flour mixture, then dip them into the egg, and lastly, dredge them in the breadcrumbs.
- Working again in batches, fry the strips in the oil until golden brown on each side. This should only take a few minutes per batch.
- Drain it all on paper towels and let it cool.
- Serve with marinara and enjoy!
Recipe by Unruly Bliss at http://unrulybliss.com/food/breaded-calamari/