Yield 2 loaves
- 1 1/4 cups white sugar
- 1/2 cup stick butter, softened
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups ripe bananas, mashed (3 to 4 medium bananas)
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- brown sugar to sprinkle
- Move oven rack to low position so that the tops of the pans will be in the center of the oven.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Grease the bottoms only of two 8 1/2″ by 4 1/2″ by 2 1/2″ loaf pans.
- Mix sugar and butter in a large bowl.
- Stir in eggs until well blended.
- Add bananas, buttermilk, and vanilla. Beat until smooth.
- Stir in flour, baking soda, and salt until just moistened.
- Pour into your pans and sprinkle the tops with brown sugar.
- Bake for about 1 hour or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool the loaves for 5 minutes in their pans before you remove them.
- Then cool them completely on a wire rack before slicing.
- This recipe makes two loaves…make someone’s day and give one away!
- We hadn't invested in loaf tins yet, so we used pie tins - which is why ours in the pictures look pie-shaped.
Recipe by Unruly Bliss at http://unrulybliss.com/food/banana-bread-pies/